Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Today was a very, very busy day for Mom.  It began by awaking at 5:00 am - an early rise was needed to be ready for a 6:30 am departure to San Francisco!  Tim and I loaded the car up with all her special medical equipment and got on the road to UCSF.

The first stop was for an audiology appointment with Dr. Cramer at 8:30 am.  He performed several hearing tests on Mom, which indicated her recent hearing loss is most likely related to fluid and swelling caused from the surgery.

Next stop was to deliver a very well deserved gift of See's candy to the men and women of 5 North.  It was a busy morning up there, but we were able to sneak a quick chat with Sann.  Thank you again ladies and gentlemen - we love you for all the wonderful care you gave to Mom!

The final stop was for a 10:45 appointment with Dr. Wang.  He is covering for Dr. Ryan while he is on vacation.  We were running early - but that gave us a chance to have a lovely visit with Zsa Zsa, one of the practice assistants that has adopted herself into our family.  Zsa Zsa was the SUPERWOMAN that orchestrated all of Mom's appointments, biopsy and surgery at UCSF.  She is delightful and just loves Mom.

Mom and Zsa Zsa Jones
We had a nice surprise while at the Head and Neck clinic today - Dr. Seth Pross popped his head into the exam room while we were waiting!  Dr. Pross was one of the four outstanding residents that made their rounds daily at Mt. Zion.  This group of young doctors were totally inspiring, with their bright smiles and encouraging support they gave Mom each and everyday.

Mom with Dr. Pross
The visit with Dr. Wang was spent mostly discussing the fistula  that occurred while in the hospital.  When she was discharged, she went home with one drain remaining in the surgical area to remove the excess fluid leaking at the site of the fistula.  Since the drain is still capturing fluid, Dr. Wang felt it prudent to leave the drain and the salivary bypass tube in place for a couple more weeks.  We will return on August 15th to have this checked again.  He did concur with the audiologist that the hearing loss is due to fluid and will improve - hopefully soon!

The trip home was uneventful.  Thanks to a borrowed inverter from Tom, Mom had a breathing treatment while cruising along 101 North.  Once home, the afternoon was spent resting.

She is looking forward to a game of bridge tomorrow morning with a group of friends!  Later in the afternoon she will check in with her cardiologist, Dr. Sergio Manubens.

A big THANK YOU to Tim for taking the time out of his busy schedule to help Mom and I get to and from the City!


  1. Zsa Zsa got the smile out of mom that I was looking for... Great people in SF!

    This blog should win a prize.

    Thanks to everyone. I love you mom!

  2. Mary Ellen - - I so agree with you about the blog. I've followed along as Mary has been in treatment and have, so often, thought that this is the most inspirational story ever. In the first place Mary is just plain remarkable. Her life is obviously in the hands of God and a most loving family. I so hope that Pattie and the family will be encouraged to turn this blog into a book. God bless.